Sunday, July 17, 2011

25 Things to Miss About Waco, Texas



It's the end of an era. Last week I finished my jar of Avalon Organics Vitamin C face cream. Despite the price tag, I live/swear by this stuff. It's so smooth and creamy and leaves your skin smelling like oranges. I recommend it to anyone who can find a jar. Just one problem, I have not seen this product anywhere outside of Texas. Before I left Waco, I did a mad raid of the grocery store for any products like my Avalon Organics, stock piling as much as I could. Now that I'm on my reserve jar, I watch the amount dwindle every morning and can't help but think about all the things there is to miss about ex-hometown.

25. HEB-One word, MAGIC! A few days ago, I started a sentence with "I found this-- at HEB..." and was quickly teased, "uh, this is Mississippi, Lindsay. We don't know what that is." It's a shame, too. I think the rest of the country is missing out. Where else can you find bacon flavored Mayonnaise? Among other notable items I added to my cabinets over the years- dried okra, Synergy Kumbacha, Central Market Green Chile Tortilla chips (amazing with half an avocado), Seasonello Bolonaise Seasoning (straight from Italy),and Lobster stuffed Salmon pinwheels. Really, it's amazing I didn't gain 45 pounds during my college years (See number 20). I have hope, however, because a coworker currently living in Starkville told me one day that she makes trips to Tuscaloosa just to go to their Target. Here's Hoping.

24. Grackles- Every fall Waco, Texas (and several other cities in Central Texas, I must add) becomes an Alfred Hitchcock movie. The Grackles invade on their migration south and for months every ledge of every building, power lines, bridge, billboard, and any other surface has a solid row of black birds, chirping away. Be careful, for you'll learn the hard way that if you park under the tree in the HEB parking lot, your black CR-V will become a black and white Polk-a-dot CR-V. We wouldn't want that, now, will we?

23.The Green Dome of the Pat Neff Tower- Anytime any affiliate from Baylor wins anything, that dome is lit green. It's really quite convenient if you went to the movies with your friends and forgot to check the score of the Women's Basket Ball Game.

22.Shopping- speaking of shopping: 2 bookstores, Ann Taylor Loft, Old Navy, Kohls, Dillards, Sports Academy, (*ahem, HEB), Nine West... need I say more. All you Vicksburg Folks know. Ain't no driving an hour to get to Madison.

21. Austin/ Houston/ College Station- OK, so maybe there is driving an hour to do something. But really, what's a few hours when you're going to see Les Miserables in Houston? Or going to the chic little vintage store in Austin. Gone With the Wind on the Big screen anyone? I never complained.

20. The Bear Trail- The 2.45 mile trail that looped around the outside of campus not only kept me fit but, most importantly, kept me mentally sane. I walked it nearly everyday, if only to enjoy the breeze and the sunset.

19. All University Sing- Speaking of being fit. Practicing a 7 minute high intensity Broadway style act 14 hours a week will do the job in a pinch. But nothing compares to Parking Garage practices, Waco Hall performances, and standing in the freezing cold for hours waiting on score results. If you do it right like I did, you get initiated with bronchitis and a double ear infection the first week of performances.

18. Always having a place to go on a Friday night- Most of you are at least nominally aware of my friends, often referred together as "the girls" and separately as Kimberly, Jennifer, Rachel, and Valori. I often made the 2 minute walk between our apartments on a Friday night to do nothing more than hand on the couch and solve Sporkle Quizzes.

17. Birthday Cake Ice cream- A novelty outside of Texas, Bluebell's Birthday Cake Ice Cream is seriously the best thing in the world. It's presence in the Memorial Cafeteria Fridge always guaranteed that I would be having dessert that night.

16.Bluebonnets- I'll miss my annual picture in the bluebonnets so much, I named my new car Bluebonnet in honor of the official state flower of Texas.

15. Sic'Em Bears- There's nothing like doing a Sic'em Bears with thousands of fellow Baylor fans at homecoming, football games, basket ball, or just because someone thought it was a good idea at the time.

14. The things my parent's love to do- I have to confess I asked for their help in compiling the list. Here's how it went.

Mom: "Oh, oh, oh! Pei Wei!"
Dad: "Health Caaaamp"
Mom: "Chipotle!"
Dad: "Teryaki Joes"
Both: "Duble- R!"
(notice a trend in this line of thought?)

13. Taco Cabana- Every Sunday night= a regular Steak Quesadilla with a regular Coke (no, Dr. Pepper!)

12. Homecoming- Bond Fires, Parades, Football Games... Pigskin?! What more could a girl ask for from life?

11.Carol Science Building- My favorite, Favorite Building on Campus. In true Baylor Fashion, the Carol Science building does not house the Science department but the English department and I'm fairly certain that is why I was a Creative Writing Minor. The building was built in 1910 and there is a huge wooden staircase that lifts straight through the center of the building. I always imagined Gilbert Blythe racing through the halls with his medical school buddies going from class to class. To bad the building isn't on Prince Edward Island.

10. My Real Housewives/ How I Met Your Mother buddy- Really, dissecting how Kim Richards' behavior may or may not be a result of alcoholism (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) is no fun when your the only person watching (*ahem- Amanda-*ahem). Also, one word: Cockamouse.

9. Dia-Del-Oso- Really, what other school gives students an entirely made up holiday off of school? Then you just get all confused because the mail still runs and everyone else you know has to go to school that day.

8. Tex-Mex- That's right folks, the good ol' El Sombrero just isn't cutting it anymore. (I may make a concession for a cup of charro beans from Cilantro's.) While I am mournfully not a mega fan of the Austinesque restaurant, Chuy's, I find my true love in Ninfa's Spinach Enchiladas. Oh man, so tasty.

7. Floyd Casey Stadium- Booking it across the field while being chased by 400 other screaming freshman in an attempt to cheer the football team onto the field and touch RG III.

6. Common Grounds- Cowboy Coffee or a Hotel California, it never matter which drink I ordered, Common Grounds always perked up a rough day.

5. Gut Packs- Yes, Gut Packs do deserve their own number. If you've never been to Waco, you need to go, even if all you do is go to Vitek's and order a Gut Pack. (Extra credit points are awarded for a visit on game day). Here's how it goes: fritos, baked beans, pulled pork, original sausage, cheese, onion, and pickle. Oh geez, now my mouth is watering.

4. Christmas on 5th street- I loved getting bundled up to go see the Christmas Tree lighting in the Quad, and then standing in line with hot chocolate while waiting for a carriage rides. Also, there are camels.

3. Collins Dining Hall- flying saucers, blueberry pancakes, and the best salad bar on campus. It was a must at least once a semester even after the meal plans disappeared.

2. Kolaches- I mentioned kolaches the other day and got very strange looks. For all you non-central Texas folks, let me explain. Kolache (Cech origin) is a name for two different kinds of pastries. The first and original pastry is a sweet bread that had a dollop of fresh fruit, jam, or spread in the center. (Think flavors like blueberries and cream, apricot, pumpkin pecan.) Moving away from the original meaning, the term "kolache" is also used to describe something like sausage in a blanket. It's popular, in Central Texas because of the high number of Cech Immigrants to the area.

1. The Bells of Pat Neff- where else can you walk home from your 6:00 Orchestra class and hear the bells play "Amazing Grace" or be reminded its Veterans Day because you hear "God Bless America."

So there you have it. My list of 25 things to miss about Waco.

And just for good measure: A picture of a Kolache, because you know you want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment